- , St. Pölten UAS - A.1.03a Industry Lab & A.1.03b Makers' Lab (Building A) Touch Me Viz: Hands-On Data Physicalization @ Makers’ Lab
In our information age, data is one of the most valuable assets for economy, science, and society.
Themenschwerpunkt: Digitale/Grüne Kompetenzen
The amount of digital data available to us is skyrocketing at an increasing pace every year. Data visualization, i.e., turning data into pictures, has proven to be very well suited to support humans in making sense of data.
But data visualizations are primarily produced and consumed on paper or digital media. Perceiving these representations is mostly limited to our visual sense and constrained by the projection on flat surfaces. Using physical space and objects that represent data allows for even richer experiences that tap into the power of our tactile senses and spatial orienteering capabilities in addition to our visual perception.
Already in ancient times humans turned data into physical objects, such as calendars engraved into bones or tokens made of clay. With today's advances in digital fabrication tools like 3D printers or laser cutters, we have reached a completely new level of possibilities to produce physical objects that are based on digital data.
The aim of this workshop is to experiment with ways of transforming data into physical objects where data can be touched and felt. We will be using both handcrafted and digital fabrication tools (e.g. 3D printer, laser cutter, drills, scissors, knifes) as well as digital data tools (e.g. Excel, Tableau, Tinkercad) in concert to turn digital data into physical objects and sculptures using a variety of materials (e.g., acrylic, wood, cardboard, cork, PLA).
- 26. Juni 2023 8:15 - 30. Juni 2023 18:00
- 7. Mai 2023
- St. Pölten UAS - A.1.03a Industry Lab & A.1.03b Makers' Lab (Building A)
- FH St. Pölten, Supportet by DIHOST & E.I.N.S
- Termin in meinen Kalender eintragen
This workshop will be primarily held in GERMAN (Non-German speaking persons might be able to participate, however, as slides and course materials will be provided primarily in ENGLISH.).
Diese Veranstaltung findet im Rahmen der Creative Media Summer School statt.
- Basic MS Excel skills
- Basic knowledge of using a vector-based graphics editing SW (e.g., Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape)
- Enthusiasm for experimentation with crafting and making things
- Feel free to work with your own laptop and SW
FH Prof. Dipl.—Ing. Dr. Franz Fidler
Tel.: +43/2742/313 228 650
Tel.: +43/676/847 228 650